I struggled with naming this recipe because what really is this? It’s not a lasagna (so don’t get angry at me. I know it isn’t) but it takes the layering technique and addition of tomato sauce and cheese like a lasagna so can it kinda sorta be a lasagna? My image folder for these pics is called “not a lasagna” lasagna. But no noodle lasagna has fun alliteration so I’m going with that. Or noodle-less? Noodle free? I don’t know, but it’s delicious.
1 package (about 10) button mushrooms
1 bag of spinach
2 bell peppers
1 container cottage cheese
1 small jar tomato sauce, or about a cup of quick homemade
mozzarella or a similar melting cheese
1) Do your prep: Thinly slice the eggplant and zucchini. Clean, trim, and thinly slice the mushrooms.
2) Heat a skillet with a little olive oil and cook the mushrooms until soft and put aside. In the same pan, cook the spinach until wilted and drain the excess water.
3) Combine the cooked spinach with the container of cottage cheese in a small pot, add the egg and mix well.
4) Preheat the oven to 350F. In a deep baking pan add a small amount of sauce and spread around the bottom of the pan. Lay the eggplant onto the bottom and then spread with sauce and half the spinach and cottage cheese mixture. Add the zucchini and then a small amount of sauce, the rest of spinach and cottage cheese mixture and mushrooms before a little more sauce and finally the peppers and the last of the sauce.
5) Top with slices of mozzarella and bake until everything is soft and melted (about 35-40 mins) garnish with fresh basil, and serve.