chicken (thighs or breast)
+1 can of tomatoes (crushed or diced)
+a handful or 2 of olives
+garlic (1-4 depending on size and your preference)
1) Mise it out: Gather your ingredients. Get your skillet over a medium heat with a splash of olive oil, and preheat your oven to 350f.
2) Touch: Pat your chicken dry with a paper towel and season both sides generously with salt and pepper. Hold your palm over the skillet, if it feels warm, add the chicken (skin side down if using skin-on chicken)
3) See: Check to see when the side down in the pan turns a golden brown. Flip and brown on the other side. While the chicken is browning, chop half the olives and garlic.
4) Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate. Add the garlic and the chopped olives to the skillet.
5) Smell: When the garlic and olives are fragrant, add the can of tomatoes and season to taste (but remember to be light on the salt because the olives & feta.)
6) Look: When the sauce has thickened and reduced by about half, nestle the chicken (skin side up) into the skillet and scatter the rest of the whole olives around. Pop in the oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through (or when the internal temperature reaches 165f with an instant read meat thermometer.) About 5 mins before it’s done, scatter the feta cheese to slightly melt over the chicken and olives.
Level it up:
add paprika, oregano, or another spice you’d like to the chicken
and/or add harissa to the sauce
and/or add spinach or other leafy greens
and/or add chickpeas